Wednesday, December 7, 2011

It's All in the Retelling Bag


I love using these lunch size paper bags in my classroom!  Every time I go to the grocery store I have to pick up a pack.   I use them for puppets and a way to help my kinders retell stories!

I love the way you can decorate the front and then keep all the small pieces you are using all in one place!  It is a great way to send home activities you want parents to reinforce!

I am going to have my children retell the Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell using these lunch bags.  After we read the story several times,  I am going to use the colored pictures in the pocket chart to help model the retelling. (See earlier post)

Then using the black and white pictures above, the children will color and glue the old lady and title on the front of the bag.  They will color the rest of the pieces and cut them out.  Then the kinders can practice retelling the story to a partner by placing each piece in the bag.  They can take the bag home and practice retelling the story to their parents or who ever takes care of them and loves them.... (my way of recognizing grandparents, etc... who may take care of my sweeties at home.  :)

Thank all of you who visited my Teachers Notebook Shop and made it a favorite!
I appreciate your support so much!  I was so surprised when I saw how many of you made my shop a favorite.  You are awesome!
If you would like the Old Lady Retelling, just click on the first picture above!  I hope you enjoy!

9 comments:

Deedee Wills said...

Pam! I love this idea! Thank you for sharing!

Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

Katie said...

This is soooo great!! I'm a speech pathologist and these would be SO great to use with my language students next year! (I'm on maternity leave right now). I have been looking around your site and you have some AWESOME free stuff! I would LOVE for you to come by my blog...I host a linky party on Thursdays (well it runs a whole week really)...to bring parents and educators together to share free or nearly free educational lessons and activities, I'd love for you to come check it out :) Link up if you'd like, or just browse the other great activity ideas! You can link up a few each week. I HOPE to see you! I'm also your newest follower AND I'm pinning away your activities!

http://www.playingwithwords365.com/2011/12/thrifty-thursday-linky-party-2/

Chrissy said...

Thank you! I read this book yesterday and my kinders loved it!

ReadWriteSing

Literacy & Math Ideas said...

Thanks for sharing!
Dawn
http://literacymathideas.blogspot.com/

Little Lilly Polka Dot Bedtime Blog said...

Hi Pam:

I love your blog and am now following! Also grabbed your button. Would you possibly consider mentioning my website-www.littlelillypolkadot.com? It is recommended by TEACHERS FIRST as a valuable resource for K and 1st grade teachers as well as parents.

THANK YOU!! :)
Wendy

Jessica said...

I LOVE this idea! I'm totally going to do this with my kids on our 1/2 day on Tuesday! Thanks for sharing! I have several Polar Express freebies on my blog! Check it out sometime!
Ms. Jess
http://underthealphabettree.blogspot.com

Sharon Dudley said...

Thank you so much! I actually collect these books (Old Lady Who Swallowed...). My 21-year-old daughter just gave me "There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Chick" - it's an easter-themed version. I'm a blind pre-k teacher with my own new blog. If anyone has time, come to http://teachingwithsight.blogspot.com and check it out.

Amy said...

What a great idea! Thank you.

Amy

Krazy About Kiddos

Kristin Cummings, SLP said...

I used this activity with my speech/language kids this week. I did a blog post about it and linked them back to you! Thanks so much!!
http://kcummingsslp.blogspot.com/2012/12/there-was-old-lady-who-swallowed-bell.html

Post a Comment